PROIMI has a High Level Technological Service department.
The High Level Technological Service department (STAN) offers several cooperation services with industries, other research centers, and also with National and Foreign Universities. Our mission is to elaborate R+D+i developments to improve existent processes or design new ones for the obtention of goods and services related to biotechnology. PROIMI is a reference at national and international level in microbial fermentations and, through the interaction between academic and industry, has a wide list of clients. The High Level Technological Service department is compromised with the society by offering several activities in four main areas:
- Bioprocess development and technological innovation
- Human Resources Training
PROIMI has a Pilot Plant equipped with all the elements required to perform pilot developments: bioreactors from 1 to 500 L, continuous centrifuges, lyophilizers, spray dray, tangential filtration units, chromatography columns, etc. The process taking place from laboratory scale to pilot plant production is done with an integrated management procedure which guarantees the correct objective planning and a systematic revision of the extent. Good Laboratory Practices and Good Manufacturing Practice guarantee the maximum quality and safety of the products and technologies which are under development.
The transfer area guarantees the maximum quality and safety standards to the products and technologies performed and has specific characteristics in order to manage better the equipment belonging to it.
ROIMI also has a Biotechnology Pilot Plant certificated under Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP), which certifies the quality and the product processing under international regulations. This Biotechnology Plant is the first one belonging to a public Institution in Argentina and also in many Latin American countries. It can generate high added value products, which are used by several industries: Food, Pharmaceutics, Cosmetic, Chemistry, etc. This facility also enables national or international industries and companies to verify the technical viability of a biotechnology process, since many of them face the difficulty of having to perform a series of tests to verify their feasibility. The biotechnology plant has a New Brunswick BioFlo Pro 1500L fermenter, among many other types of equipment.
The scientific developments of microbiological-source products shall be conducted towards a production scale for evaluating their economic potential at an industrial level. The search of new substances of microbial origin, with properties of biotechnology interest (antibiotics, enzymes, antitumoral drugs, etc.) needs production studies at large scale in order to perform more exhaustive tests. These (custom fermentations) require a biotechnology plant with a biosafety level, which guarantees reproducible results. Services like these are more often required at national and international level. There are a few places in which these services could be performed. Usually, enterprises found that these services have a two-years delay.
A dispensable Biotechnology Pilot Plant GMP allows offering the national and international market a validated infrastructure to perform either pilot batches or bioproducts elaboration with high control specifications.
ACTIVITIES OFFERED BY PROIMI STAN TO ENTERPRISES AND INDUSTRIES
The offered transfer of technology and knowledge are related to the following items:
1 – TECHNOLOGY INNOVATION AND DEVELOPMENTS
- Microbial bioprocess design and development from fungus, bacteria, and yeast.
- Biomass propagation at pilot scale for food and pharmaceutics industries (from 1 to 1500 L)
- Microbiologic enzyme production (bacteria, filamentous fungi and yeast).
- Production of primary and secondary metabolites of industrial interest by mesophilic, thermophilic and extremophile microorganisms.
- Development of recombinant proteins with high added value.
- Isolation and identification of food contaminants
- Genetic improvement of microorganisms.
- Development and production of bioinoculates.
- Development of waste management systems for specific wastes from the agroindustries
- Waste treatment and conversion to byproducts of industrial concern.
- Biodegradation of environmental pollutants.
- Biological control of agriculture crop pests. Decrease of agrochemical utilization in crops through the use of natural enemies of the plague.
- Development of downstream strategies for biomolecules.
2 – AGROCHEMICALS
- Biofertilizers.evelopment of inoculant from Rhizobacterium. a phosphate-solubilizer bacteria.
- Pest studies and development of specific biological control mechanism for citrus and maize.
- Bioinsecticides. Larvae and pupae growth on demand.
- Natural enemies: parasitoid (wasp), predators (coleoptera and demaptera) and entomopathogenous (fungi and bacteria).
- Biologic control of fly fuits (citrics).
- Biologic control of chicharritas (maize and citrics).
- Biologic control of Spodoptera frugiperda.
- Parasitoid growth (wasp)
3 – ENVIRONMENT
- Environmental microbiology.
- Waste biodegradation with aerobic and anaerobic systems.
- UASB reactors for biogas production
- Percolation filters. Biofilms.
- Bioremediation of heavy metals (cooper, cadmium, chromium, etc.)
- Bioremediation of contaminated ecosystems.
- Biodegradation of pesticides and agrochemicals.
- Biodecoloration of agroidustrial wastes.
- Biodegradation of oil and derivate.
4 – FOOD
- Culture media formulation of starters for fermentative processes (cheese, yogurt, wine, cider and beer).
- Scaling up of starters’ production. Concentration, centrifugation, tangential filtration, spry drying and liofilization of microbial biomass at pilot scale.
- Food additive production (enzymes, pigments, etc.)
- Aerobic and anaerobic mesophiles count, iron and sulphate-reducer bacteria count. Tiosulphate oxidant bacteria in liquid waste plant count.
5 – SUGARCANE INDUSTRY
- Design strategies of several yeast and bacteria fermentative culture systems for high ethanol yields.
- Bioprocess scale up in the pilot plant up to 1.500 L.
6 – ENZYME AND METABOLIC MICROBIAL PRODUCTION WITH ANTIMICROBIAL ACTIVITY.
- Acid and alcalines xylanases.
- Glucose oxidase.
7 – HEALTH
Biomolecules with specific pharmaceutical potential:
- Fibrinolytic enzymes
8 – SERVICES
- Gaseous and liquid chromatography compound determination (GC and HPLC).Determination of compounds through gas chromatography (GC) and liquid chromatography (HPLC).
- Detection of microbial contaminants in products and derivate from industry.
- Anaerobic and aerobic mesophilic counts.
- Count of aerobic mesophilic, anaerobes, iron-reducing bacteria and sulfates, thiosulphate-oxidizing bacteria in liquid effluent treatment plants.
- Isolation and identification of microorganisms by molecular techniques.
9 – CONSULTING
- Microbial bioprocess.
- Bioprocess plant design
10 – HUMAN RESOURCES TRAINNING
- Theoretical and practical courses for industries related to microbial bioprocesses.